Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 416-8c Question about versions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member maple5438's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2004
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello
    I have been researching various Altec woofers for my A7 cabinets.
    While looking at the pictures on eBay I have noticed that there are 2 very different models of the 416-8C?s.
    One version has a back magnet plate the is nicely contoured and attached with 3 screws,
    The other has a back magnet plate that is flat without screws and looks cheaper.

    An anyone explain the difference between them?
    Which is the newer/older version? Is one better then the other? More valuable?,

    I posted some pictures on the internet to help explain what I mean.

    http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04111904/pjuk1h6rci/

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member maple5438's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2004
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi
    Nobody have an idea why the different versions?
    I need to choose before the auctions end.
    Thanks

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They both look like they are ferrite magnets so I would go for the ones that cost the least. I don't think you would find any audible difference between the two assuming everything else is equal.

    Regards,

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    They're both acoustically identical.

    The single one's serial number/date code indicate that it was built late in the Anaheim era, just before the move to OKC.

    The pair is earlier in the Anaheim era, but post-Alnico era.

    The only real difference is the cover plate...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.